Subscribe Now:

Click on text below to receive notice when new blog note is posted!

Subscribe to Marriage Building Thoughts

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Helpless in the Moment

A calendar in itself is no more than a series of days organized in a fashion or order. We look at calendars to stay organized, anticipate significant events or mark off time that has passed. When working, we use calendars to tell when we are expected to arrive and leave as well measure work completed to exchange for pay. For those in the Northwest, we use a calendar to alert us of a change in season. Preparation of sorts for the work that is about to begin. We do not control the passing of time or the change of a day. So why do we get mad when things spin out of our perceived control?

I Corinthians 7:5 “Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control”.


I find myself so paralyzed when I see my wife sick. I can only imagine how she felt when she saw me lying in a hospital bed after I was run over. I am reminded how fragile our lives really are and how we have no true control of our lives each day. So though I do not have control of illness or disease I do have control of choices I make.

How does a pebble tossed in a pond change the surface of the water? Our decisions have the same affect of the lives around us. These ripples in the pond of our lives can be positive or negative. This is something we do have control of. Being aware of the choices we make and the consequences, we can reduce the stress on our families. Out of our hands, time passes by. We helplessly watch our loved ones ride the waves of decision, consequence, injury or illness.

So, remember, regret simply steals joy and love away from us. Time is but a vapor!

No comments: